Tuesday 31 March 2020

Trek to Parashar Lake in Monsoon



Trek Details

Maximum Altitude: 8960 Feet
Duration: 2 days
Distance: 15-16 km
Base Camp: Baggi Village
Best time for the trek: December to February for snow; September-November for Greenery
Difficulty level: Easy
Stay Option: Inside Temple at free of cost, Tent, PWD Guest House
Local Guide from Bahandi Village: Jeevan Thakur (09418196939), He also works inside the temple.

Short Itinerary

Day 1
Mandi to Baggi Village: Drive 140 km (4-5 hours)
Baggi Village to Parashar Lake: Trek 7.5-8 km (5-7 hours)

Day 2 Follow the same path back or
Parashar lake to Bahandi Village – Trek 5 km (3-4 hours), Clear mountain ranges, no forest
Bahandi Village to Delhi-Manali highway (Just before Aut) – Drive 20 km (40 mins)


If you’re looking for a weekend trek from Delhi, Parashar lake is for you. It’s small trek of around 7 km one side which takes you through a charming forest and several rivulets. Beware of Leeches if you are doing the trek in monsoon. The trek starts from Baggi village which is at 2 hours distance from Mandi. Himachal Roadways bus runs from Mandi around 7:15 am to Baggi village. The bus goes up to the lake if weather permits. But the road remains obstructed with landslides during monsoon and with snow during winters. 


The trek offers a beautiful view of the Dhauladhar, Pir Panjal and Kinnaur mountain ranges. Do the trek in winters, the frozen lake looks just amazing. If you are more into greenery and freshness and want to do the trek in monsoon, just take a local guide along with. There is one more route to Parashar lake which goes through the Bahandi village. This route doesn’t have forest and it gives a clear view of the mountain ranges.


Bahandi Village

Bahandi Village

I personally won’t recommend doing this trek in monsoon. I reason I tell you through my personal experience. I did the trek solo last year in August and I was the only one there. I was confident enough of not having the local guide, but it turned out to be a real nightmare. Initially the trail looked like a waterfall as all the water from the forest was coming down through the trail. I slipped couple of times and had some injuries. 



After around an hour of hiking, I found the trail obstructed with a tumbled tree and there was no way to cross it. I had to go all the way crossing the river stream which made me hiked extra 2.5 km. 




I entered the forest through a different route and there was no trail. I was trying to follow directions and overhead electrical wires but after a point, I reached a dead end with and got lost in the woods.  I couldn’t find a way out for almost 2 hours. It sounds like a movie plot but that's what happened with me. I was all alone deep inside the forest. It was raining and started getting dark. Leeches were making it difficult to walk as I had to remove my shoes to pull out the leeches from my feet after every 5-10 mins and the big backpack to carry tent, sleeping bag and mattress along with, was making me tired. 


Drained and exhausted, I sat near a rivulet and was thinking whether to go all the way back to Baggi village or again try to find a way up.

Suddenly, I started hearing a barking voice and a dog came to me. It was the same dog who was following me at the start of the trek, but I lost him when I had to cross the stream. I couldn’t be more thankful to see him as I felt like having a company which was really motivating. 



The dog circled me number of times and then started walking away. He barked at me as if asking me to follow him. I had the feeling that he would take me to the right path. Trusting him, I followed blindly and after around 30 mins, I could see the trail going all the way to the lake. 



I took a deep breathe and hugged the dog tightly. He was my savior.  Finally I reached the lake and it was so pristine and beautiful looking at the lake and natural beauty around that it was enough to calm every aching bone of my body.











No comments:

Post a Comment